The Astaldi/Ghella/Oberosler/COGEIS/P.A.C JV has been officially awarded the €1bn contract for the construction of the Mules 2-3 Lot of the Brenner Base Tunnel, by Brenner Basistunnel (BBT SE). This formal act follows the preliminary award of the contract in March 2016 and signifies the start-up of works.
The contract involves the construction of all underground works on the most important stretch of the Italian section of the Brenner Railway Tunnel from Mezzaselva (Fortezza) to the Italian border with Austria.
The main works involve completion of the exploration tunnel and the two main running tunnels for a total of 23km using traditional methods, and 46km bored by TBMs. The estimated duration of works is 7 years.
Podcast Episode 3: Empowering Underground Professionals In The Use Of Risk Assessment And Risk Engineering Techniques
“We are proud to be able to contribute to one of the most important works under construction in Europe to date,” said Filippo Stinellis, CEO of Astaldi Group.
The Brenner Tunnel has an overall cost of €8.8bn, 40% of which is funded by the EU and the remaining 60% by funds made available by Italy and Austria (with Italy providing €2.65bn).
The tunnel, which is scheduled to become operational in 2025, will provide a new railway link between Italy and Austria, forming part of the Helsinki-La Valletta Corridor 5. It will be the longest underground railway tunnel in the world with its 64km of length stretching from Fortezza to Innsbruck. The BBT is primarily intended for freight transportation, allowing a modal shift of traffic from road to rail.