A Ghella/Avax/Alstom JV has won the public procurement tender for the construction of the first section, ‘Section A’, of the Athens Metro Line 4, following the recent approval of the technical and financial offers by client, Attiko Metro’s Board of Directors. The contract includes the construction of 12.8km of twin tube tunnel, using a minimum of two TBMs, and 15 underground stations. The JVs tender, according to the Client, was the lowest bidder at €1.32bn.
The full scope of the Contract is for the preparation of the Final Design and the Detailed Final Design, the construction of the Civil Works, the supply, installation, testing and commissioning of the E/M and Railway equipment, the maintenance of the Project, the training of the personnel, and the supply of spare parts for the Metro Line 4, Section A’ “Alsos Veikou – Goudi”.
Section A of Line 4 extends from the area of Alsos Veikou at Galatsi up to the Goudi area and the Katehaki TBM shaft. It falls within the administrative boundaries of the Municipalities of Athens, Galatsi, Kessariani and Zografou.
The following structures are all included in the contract:
- Fifteennew underground stations: ALSOS VEIKOU, GALATSI, ELIKONOS, KYPSELI, DIKASTIRIA, ALEXANDRAS, EXARCHIA, AKADEMIA, KOLONAKI, EVANGELISMOS, KESSARIANI, PANEPISTIMIOUPOLI, ILISSIA, ZOGRAFOU and GOUDI.
- Nine intermediate and/or terminal shafts.
- Double track underground tunnels, approximately 13kmlong, to be bored using at least two Tunnel Boring Machines.
- Underground tunnelsto be bored using mechanical conventional means (double track, triple track & turnouts).
- Single track underground tunnels (STT), approximately 860m long, to be bored using mechanical conventional means.
- Two forestations of the Line, ahead of ALSOS VEIKOU Station (underneath Veikou Avenue) and past GOUDI Station (underneath Katehaki Avenue).
- One (1) new Operations Control Centre (OCC)for Line 4, capable of incorporating the operation and control of Lines 1, 2 and 3, as well as of future new automatic lines and the Tramway. The new OCC shall be located within the boundaries of Sepolia Depot.
- One (1) new buildingfor the maintenance and repair of the new trains in an available area within the boundaries of Sepolia Depot.
- The Project also includes the required rolling stock (20 automatic driverless trains), as well as all required E/M and Railway Systems for the operation of the Line.
The foreseen project budget, VAT excluded, amounts to €1.51bn with an envisaged construction duration of 8 years.
The current Athens Metro Development Plan includes the Metro Line 4, Alsos Veikou – Evangelismos – Faros – Maroussi, together with its extensions (a) to Vyronas/Ano Ilioupoli and (b) to Petroupoli and the National Road. The U-shaped Line 4 consists of two radial legs to Galatsi and Maroussi, as well as of one central part that runs through the centre of Athens, its total length is 38.2km with 35 stations and it incorporates five discrete individual sections, namely sections A, B, C, D and E.
- Section A: Alsos Veikou – Goudi (12.8km long, with 15 stations)
- Section B: Goudi – Maroussi (9.6km long, with 8 stations)
- Section C: Evangelismos – Ano ilioupoli (4.1km long, with 3 stations)
- Section D: Alsos Veikou – Petroupoli (7.5km long, with 6 stations)
- Section E: Maroussi – National Road (4.4km long, with 3 stations).