Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx have awarded a $757.1M contract to Strabag to design, build and finance the tunnel for the Scarborough Subway Extension. Preparatory works at the launch shaft site started in April and major construction is set to begin in June.
The Scarborough Subway Extension Advance Tunnel scope of work includes:
- Tunnelling works for the 7.8km subway extension, from Kennedy Station to McCowan Road/Sheppard Avenue.
- Design and construction of launch and extraction shafts, tunnels, as well as headwalls for emergency exit buildings and stations.
- Supplying the TBM and installing segmental precast concrete tunnel liners.
- Activities necessary to build the tunnel (e.g. utility relocations, supports for shaft and headwalls, temporary power supply, lighting, ventilation, and drainage).
The Strabag team includes:
- Applicant Lead: Strabag AG
- Construction Team: Strabag Inc.
- Design Team: Arup Canada Inc., Brian Isherwood & Associates Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: Strabag Inc
Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation, Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation (GTA), and Vijay Thanigasalam, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation, issued the following statement regarding the Scarborough Subway Extension:
“Since day one, our government has been clear that building better, faster transit is a key priority and core piece of our mandate. Under Premier Ford, Ontario’s historic multibillion-dollar subway plan for the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is, by far, the largest and most ambitious transit undertaking in Canadian history.
Earlier this month, the federal government endorsed Premier Ford’s vision for transit in the GTA and committed their 40 per cent share to Ontario’s nationally significant subway projects. They agree that our plan is the right plan.
For far too long, Scarborough commuters have unfairly dealt with outdated transit that couldn’t keep up with the growing and thriving communities in Toronto’s east end. The Scarborough Subway Extension will create thousands of jobs during construction and unlock better access to employment spaces, schools and other key destinations throughout the city.